Oh Man!

Heart pounding.

Mouth Dropped.

Mind Racing.

What do I do??? What do I do?? Don't Panic!! Don't Panic!!

Why?

I LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF MY HOUSE WITH MY TWO YOUNG CHILDREN INSIDE!!

OK, lets face it, I was freaking out!

Here's a very brief rundown of what happened:

Matthew was in the jumper (the kind that hangs from the doorway). And Mandie was eating an apple. Me and Mandie were playing with Matthew while he 'jumped'. (He doesn't jump, he just hangs there because he's too little to jump). I go to put the clothes from the washer to the dryer and see Scout, the dog, heaving in the back yard . . . and then she throws up. I hurry and do the clothes and then slip out to check on Scout. She seems to be fine, who knows what she ate! I turn around to get back in the house and . . .

Heart Pounding.

Mouth Dropped.

Mind Racing.

What do I do? Don't Panic.

I immediately run across the street to my neighbors house to see if I can use her phone. Praise God she was home. I call Luke. He calmly says he'll be right home to figure something out. The problem was that the storm door in the front was locked, and the screen door in the back was locked, neither of those doors have keys, they can only be locked or unlocked from the inside. I was ready to smash them in with a hammer, but Luke told me to just wait for him. So I did. Mandie was inside eating her apple as if nothing at all had happened. I could not here Matthew, but Mandie said he was starting to cry! That was not good news! Luke finally arrived home. He got some tools from the garage to try to pick the lock. In case you are confused, our garage is detached from the house. You can't get into the house from the garage. While Luke is getting tools I am trying to coax Mandie to unlock the screen door. Something like this, "Hi Mandie!! OK, honey push it up!! Can you push the button up! Push it up honey!!" And then, somehow, some way, SHE DID IT! She opened the door! We were in! I hugged her so hard and then RAN to my fussing son. That's right, he wasn't really even crying. He was fine! Praise God!!

It may be that based on the above story I should not be the person handing out parenting advice. However, here it is. If you ever lock yourself out of your house and your children (both under the age of 2) happen to be on the inside, the INSTANT you realize you are locked out go find a phone and call someone who can get you back in your house. Do not waist one single second fighting with a perfectly locked door!

Comments

  1. oh my gosh! Go Mandie! :)
    I can't believe that happenend.
    I don't have kids that talk yet so I would freak out! WOW!
    Glad you got in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie this is one parenting blunder I haven't made...YET! I pretty much have done all the rest I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would freak out if I had done that, but it is almost impossible to lock myself out of my house. My mom locked her keys and me in the car the first time that she ventured out with me as a baby. I think all mothers will do something like this at some point in time!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great, my friend! Great advice! Go Mandie!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts