Casa De Esperanza, San Carlos, Mexico


Casa De Esperanza, San Carlos, Mexico
-By Dr. Luke-

My dad called me earlier this year and said, “Son, I've been learning Spanish, and I want to use it and go build something!” So I began calling some friends in Mexico and seeing what they needed help on. Several of them had jobs that would be better for a large group of people, but I ended up speaking with Brenda and Art in San Carlos. They run a missionary support center there in Mexico, and that was were I stayed on my very first mission trip. Neither Dad nor I had any idea what kind of work we would be doing...we were just eager to help.

We met at the airport in Phoenix and flew down to Hermosillo in Mexico where a great friend, Juan Carlos, picked us up and drove us the last hour and a half to the Casa. After speaking with him, we decided to go to an English speaking church and then to a Mexican Community Outreach Center that works with foster children, feeds the neighborhood children, and also has church services during the week.

Luke 8:40-56 was the subject of the sermon at the English speaking church, and the Pastor did such an amazing job. He illustrated the parallels between Jairus' problem and our problems today; how we doubt, we despair, and we get depressed, but Jesus continues doing His work to His glory.

The Outreach Center, Cuidad de Refugio, had a guest speaker that morning, and she did an amazing job also. She spoke of Daniel and how we are to be men and women of intentional integrety. What a great Sunday it was! After this service, Dad and I changed clothes and hopped on the roof of the Center to paint it with a special paint called impermebilizante.

Dad painting the roof while Juan Carlos 'supervises' 
The rest of the work that we did was back at the Casa. During the quick 5 day trip, we ended up doing many of the jobs that these amazing people just don't have the time to do. Almost every week they have large groups there and they have to cook and feed, clean, entertain, and host, which takes all they have to give with precious little 'down time' between groups.

Dad and I ended up fixing a toilet, a water heater, a swing set, a dishwasher, painting a freezer, emptying trailers full of supplies into the bodega, moving RV's around, and we painted and repaired the fountain in the courtyard. The staff was so hospitable and my favorite thing to do there was to sit and speak with them and Dad to hear stories and share testimonies. It is always so wonderful to spend time with these brothers and sisters in Christ. My father and I also went to celebrate our birthdays together. We ate some amazing food (Mexican food is our favorite!) and even found a Dairy Queen down there to get a blizzard for dessert. In the evenings, Dad and I got to sit out on the balcony of our room and talk about whatever came to mind...those were neat moments.











It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to returning for the Optometry mission later this year. It touched my heart to receive this text from Brenda a few days after we returned to our homes: “Luke, thanks again for all your help, but thanks more for your visit, your friendship and your spurring us on to righteousness and good deeds. Love you brother.” It was my pleasure. I love you all too!

Psalm 133:1 -Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!



Comments

Popular Posts