You Are Not Going to Believe This!

Happy Valentines Day! I have a few minutes to while Daddy and Matt take a nap (and little Mandie is at school), so I am going to give a few details about the labor and delivery . . . and of course post a few pictures of my precious family!

Here is the story you are 'not going to believe'. It is the story of how Baby Matthew was brought into this world. Don't worry, I'll give you the condensed version:

Around midnight on Saturday night I woke up from sleep to the wonderful (ya right!) feeling of a very long, very strong contraction. So, I decided to get up and wash my tub because I knew I would want to labor in their later and I figured tonight was probably the night. After washing the tub, I went and laid on the couch and labored there for about 45 minutes at which point Luke woke up and came in to see where I was. I told him I was in labor and he started timing my contractions. I should probably mention at this point in case anyone is unaware that we have used a midwife for this pregnancy and were planning a home birth with the midwife (the same way we had Mandie). So, Luke started timing contractions. They were like 10 to 11 minutes apart, and not even a minute long . . . but they were pretty strong. After about an hour I was feeling really uncomfortable laboring on the couch, so Luke went to fill up the tub. At this point my contractions were about 5 minutes apart and right around 1 minute long. When I got in the tub my contractions immediately went to 3 minutes apart, and they were like 70 seconds long. It was 2:29 and we decided to call the midwife thinking it wouldn't be much longer. While Luke was on the phone I felt the "urge to push" (that's the understatement of the year!!) Anyway, he came in holding the phone, told our Midwife to come now, hung up, and like 2 pushes later our baby was here. That's right, Luke and I had our baby by ourselves in the bathtub . . . no midwife in sight. About five minutes later the midwife arrived, checked everyone out, and then she went back home. Luke and I went back to bed to get some sleep with our new sweet family member. The most amazing thing is that Mandie slept soundly throughout the night! She woke up to a little baby brother, who she adores!

Here are pictures the morning after Matthew was born:


Here is Matthew having his first 'tummy time':

Here is Mandie and Matthew in their Valentine Day garb before Mandie went off to Kid University:

Comments

  1. that IS incredible! i can't even imagine...you are so brave! congrats and have fun with your new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. INSANE!!! You went BACK TO BED afterwards??? You were feeling THAT good? Holy cow girl. It took me a week to feel like I was even human again. ha ha

    Congrats! He is very cute!!

    jeri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a rock star!
    Okay so I think I could make something gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!

    Hi...somehow I came across your blog - we must have gone to ACU around the same time.

    Anyway, I just had my first homebirth, my first child was an unmedicated hospital birth. Its so nice to see someone else who chose natural childbirth. Isn't it so empowering?!

    You can find my birth story on my blog under older posts.

    God bless you and your family. There is nothing else like waterbirth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story! You are a rockstar!
    I hope things are very smooth for us too! :)

    I can't wait to meet Matthew!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts