Yahweh Yireh

I went to the ladies Bible study this morning at South West, they are currently doing a study on the names of God and today the subject was Yahweh Yireh which literally translates as "Lord Provider". It comes from the story of Abraham sacrificing his beloved son on the alter in accordance with the request God gave him to do so. On the way up the mountain, Isaac mentions to his Dad that they have the knife and the wood, but they have no sheep for the alter. Abraham simply replies that the Lord will provide the sacrifice. Ya'll probably know how the story goes . . . Abraham ties up Isaac and lifts the knife in the air when an angel tells him to stop, and then the Lord provides a ram caught up in a bush for the sacrifice. This lesson was very touching for me today. I am about to have a new baby in my house along with a one year old, and I am always feeling a little crunched for time and a little overwhelmed by my need for a little time to myself, or a little time to work on my school work, or a little more patience, or a little more sleep, or whatever. But what I am to remember is that my only job is to follow the instruction of the Lord, and make the sacrifices he requires of me . . . even if they are big. And then I am able to trust that he will provide me with time, sleep, getting school work done, and probably a lot of things that I didn't even know I needed. What a wonderful thing it is to put your hope and trust in the Lord, it allows me peace and joy in this moment and this day with no worry of tomorrow.

The Lord says to Abraham while Isaac is on the alter "Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld your son from me".

I hope to have the ability to withhold nothing from the Lord, even when I am tired, hungry, and covered in spit up!

Comments

Popular Posts