Magic Touch

In our home, I have always been the parent in charge of tucking the babes sweetly and safetly into bed at night. When Mandie was a baby, I would walk around a dark room, shushing her softly, or humming. While I walked I would bounce her in my arms, and pat her sweet little back until she drifted off, at which point I would gently and carefully place her sweetly in her crib. When Matthew's birth was approaching I mentioned to Luke that he might need to take over the night-time routine with Mandie, which of course had evolved over time. However, it was hard for me to let go. He would go in there to read and pray and tuck, but if I heard a whimper I just had to go put my hand on her face until she drifted off (sorry Baby Wise!!). Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, Daddy has been in charge of tucking Mandie in at night. It's been great!! He does such a wonderful job, and Mandie almost always happily trots of to go read a book with Daddy. While he tucks her in, I usually take Matthew into his room to nurse, read, and then sleep. Tonight, however, something new happened. Mandie was exhausted!! I mean so so tired. It was only like 9:05, but she was crazy tired and so we thought she was probably just going to have to cry a little before sleep would come. Luke tried to read her a book, she only made it 2 pages before those tired alligator tears came out. Poor baby. So he said the prayer and walked out to let her cry to sleep. After a few minutes of crying he sneaked back in and gently put her to bed, don't ask me how . . . but he did a great job and she was happily snoozing. Meanwhile, I am done with the nursing, done with the book, and on to the slumber with little Matt. Is her tired? YES! Is he asleep? YES! Am I holding him? YES! Can I put him down? NO! Everytime I try to put the little guy down he gets the saddest most devasted look on his little face and he just screams and cries! So sad! So after a while I am about to totally go bonkers. My new plan is to lay him down, and go see if Luke will give me 5 minutes of relief so I can regroup before going at it again with little Matt. Luke agrees. 5 minutes later he walks out of Matthews room. Matt is soundly sleeping . . . like a baby, if you will. Tonight, Daddy had the magic touch! Thanks babe! You're an awesome Daddy and me and the babes are so lucky and honored to call you ours!

Comments

  1. Love that story! That is our routine too except Noah is Casey's and I am Emma's. I feed Emma, and get her down and Casey's feeds Noah and gets him down. I totally agree that Daddy's just have the magic touch sometimes. It is great! YAY Luke! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love great daddy stories! Aren't we so blessed to have such wonderful husbands, and our children so blessed to have such wonderful daddies?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie - I loved your journaling about your trip to OKC. Mandie & Matthew are precious. I can't believe we didn't get to see them when you were here. Our plans to our cabin w/ our kids & grandkids were already on the calendar when we found out you were coming. Please keep us posted. Hugs & Kisses, Jean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts