Oh Me, Oh My

Happy Thanksgiving! I can't believe that the holiday has already come and gone. This year's Turkey Feast was just as delicious, if not better, than it always is, and I enjoyed the opportunity to spend the day with Luke's family. This year I made my grandmother Beaulah's pistachio salad recipe, which Mandie found delightful, and my great-grandmother Cassy Mae Wheeler's Coke Sald recipe, which Mandie found to be equally delightful, and my Aunt LaJean's fruit salad with whipped cream, yummy yummy! (now that was a run-on sentence!!) My parents went to Austin to watch the UT game for Thanksgiving, so I was glad to have some of my side's traditional dishes for Thanksgiving even though we weren't actually celebrating with them. Luke's family really liked the Coke Salad, think that may be a new regular Thanksgiving appearance for them, too!

In pregnancy world, I really don't think it has really registered inside of me that I am going to have another baby! I told Luke that it probably won't hit me until I'm holding the little newbie in my arms! However, there is really no preparation to be done. The nursery is in full working order and is currently occupied by Michael, so I guess we need to assemble the toddler bed and move him into Matthew's room, which will soon just be the 'Boy's Room". Also, when we figure out if it's a girl or boy, which I'm thinking we may not do until birth, then I need to either wash the newborn boy clothes or the newborn girl clothes. Then I think we are ready. So that makes me one toddler bed and one load of laundry away from being ready for a baby.

I am starting to get rather concerned about birth. I know a lady who's having her fourth baby in a month and she is so not worried about labor or birth or any of it. That is NOT me. Birth is scary for me every time. My biggest fear is a long, drawn out birth. I pray for efficient contractions, efficient pushes, and a reasonable birth. I pray for health for all parties involved. And I pray that I do not make it something in my mind that it's not in reality. I just want good' ol plain'ol regular'ol birth. And I don't like people thinking about me in birth, I don't even like people to know that I've gone into active labor until after the fact. I absolutely have a very healthy fear of birth, and I have the utmost respect for the whole process, and I believe that the reward you gain from it is tenfold the work! Ok, more on that later I'm sure.

Well, I am somewhere between 15 and 17 weeks pregnant I think. I never had a period because I was nursing Michael, so I don't have a first day of my last period. I haven't had an ultrasound because in homebirth world you don't normally have an ultrasound until around 20 weeks, if you get one at all. I heard the heartbeat for the first time on October 28th. That means I was at least 10 weeks at that point. It was fast. It makes me wonder if there's a girl in there. It's been a while since we've had a baby girl around here and everyone seems to be hoping for a girl, but we would love a boy of course!! I have an appointment on Monday with my midwife and I'm hoping that after she measures and pokes around a bit she will narrow down a more precise due date for me. I have gained 10 pounds already, which seems like a lot. None of my clothes fit, all of my normal clothes are too small and all of my maternity clothes are too big/stretched out. So I'm mostly in sweatpants and t-shirts for now. I also really enjoy wearing my husbands sweaters, I just love that.

Also, it seems that I am less than a joy to live with. My hormones are all over the place. I get really bad headaches from time to time. I had a big RA flare the other day. And instead of placing the blame on things like pregnancy or hormones, or something that actually contributed to the problem, I like to nit pick at my husband. He doesn't like it so much. However, with the beginning of the 2nd trimester has come a surge of energy and change for the better in my disposition. Luke has expressed to me more than once how glad he is that the 1st trimester is over. He's a trooper that one!

Christmas is coming and I'm ready for it baby! I have purchased 90% of presents, and even wrapped some of them. The next few days will be spent decorating, wrapping, and doing a bit of Christmas crafting, and then bring on the Christmas Joy!! This year I really want to read a chapter of the book of Luke every evening of December. I had ambitions to do it last year but it didn't seem to fit. This year I think the kids would be very receptive to it, and I think it would be a highlight of the season for us all! Thank you God for sending Jesus!!

Speaking of crafting, Michael's baby book has finally been started! I have done his opening page, a spread about being pregnant with him, and a spread about his birth, and a spread about him meeting friends and family for the first time. Now I just have to do his baby shower and the months of June of 10 through June of 11 and it will be done. (Oh, it sounds so easy but it is so much work!) I am hoping and praying and hoping and wishing and hoping so hard that it will be finished before I give birth again! Oh my. Also, I have a grand idea to make a quilt out of old baby clothes and blankets and burp rags and stuff. I made a t-shirt quilt in hight school and I haven't done anything like it since then. I have been greatly inspired by Wendy at Sewing in the Wendy City, and I'm hopeful to start making some squares after the holidays slow down and much more progress has been made on Michael's scrap book. It's not a project that I want to finish quickly, because I would like to have pieces from every baby on the quilt, and obviously we aren't quite done in the baby department, yet. But I would love to get started on it!

Oh, my. I guess that's it for today. Have a wonderful week!

Comments

  1. Glad I found you Cassie! I think a quilt made of baby clothes sounds like fun! I sent off all my high school and college t-shirts and had one made. It's really warm and we drag it out every winter.

    Thank you for your help today! And it was fun talking to you, too.

    Celee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts